Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Nutcracker

     One time in high-school/middle-school I had the "privilege" of going to see The Nutcracker. It's probably considered a very great thing for a girl at that age to experience, possibly to be cultured or something. I don't know that I left any different though. I am glad I went so I could learn about what a ballet is and it was a fun thing to do as a family, but I think probably a big thing I got out of it was I am not a person who enjoys ballets.
     I don't say that it's not my favorite for no reason. Actually I have a few reasons. For one thing, there is a story that the people are acting out, but it is not clear. In order to understand what is happening, you have to read the paper that you get at the entrance or have someone tell you. I mean what's the point of dancing all around the stage if you are the only one who knows what you're doing, Clara? Also rather than just coming out and doing or saying something, they draw it out and just dance around while you are waiting to see them get to the point. I mean what is "The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies" all about? Why don't all the sweets just say they are excited?
     My point here isn't to tell you about the Nutcracker, or even my opinion of it. Really the other day I went to a cultural event here and it reminded me of The Nutcracker. I went to a local cultural dance that the town I am staying in puts on. It was actually VERY interesting to watch, but like The Nutcracker, the story line was hidden in the brochure I got upon entering. It went something like a girl was stolen by a scary man when she got left in the woods by herself and another man saved her. Now I'm sure the performers would say there is a lot more to it, but that's the core plot. I have to say though that the constant chanting and costumes and fire kept me very intrigued the whole time! I guess it's another part of experiencing culture. I've included some pics I took so you could get a little glimpse into the traditional costumes and dance here.
     On a final note, the very interesting part about it is that it is much more than just a cultural event, but a religious one. This is how they call out to beings beyond themselves, whether that's spirits or other things. Also in the end of the dance a man actually runs through a fire and SITS in it  because the priest blesses him and a spirit empowers him to do it--so they say.

When the girl was taken.


The man that took her.



1 comment:

  1. Timea, we're sure you're near our part of the world and we are praying that you get a glimpse of life as we know it - relationships are definitely a big thing in this part of the world! Thanks for posting updates! Jed and Amy

    ReplyDelete