Sunday, July 7, 2013

English Club


This week at another friend's house here I had the privilege to help with an English club. It was VERY fun and the kids were extremely attentive. That was so encouraging. They also loved
playing the games as well as listening to the stories we told.

Each day when the kids came we would begin by review and playing games. Once the review was done we'd get everyone together and sing songs. Even though we sang in English, they joined in as much as they could and by the end of the week they were getting the hang of them. It was especially fun when we knew the song in their language too so they could sing it and understand.

After song time another lady and I shared a story in English. We would each share a story and teach key words in the story and then we'd listen to them in their language. It was fun to creatively teach them new words as we told the stories. Sometimes they would help tell the story by saying the word when I did a motion, or held up a picture or sometimes I would have a coloring icture that went along with the story so they would label the new words as I taught them.

After the story the kids colored and practiced their new words to receive a prize. 

At the end of the week my friend was very pleased. She felt like they learned the new words and had a good time. The stories were ones that were knew to them too and she was glad they had the opportunity to be exposed to the stories that have changed our lives!



I am going to go to another island for this week, but after I return, there's a big possibility that I'll be going to teach another English Club at another friend's house.

Please continue to think of the kids that heard these stories this week and their families and for the opportunity for me to teach again.


Coloring
A young girl reading the story picture book in her language.
At the end of the last day the hose came out and fun ensued!

No comments:

Post a Comment